Marianas Variety Guam Edition – The Local and Regional Newspaper

Thank you for reading the Marianas Variety-Guam Edition, your local and regional newspaper. Kindly note that as of Friday, August 1, 2014, our web content has moved to a metered system with the speci...read more

12 23Wed08202014

Settings

Font Size

Back Local News Police cars locked in protests

Police cars locked in protests

  • PDF

Cars Plus files counter appeal

WITH the procurement currently locked in protests from bidders, the Guam Police Department may have to wait to see the 10 new police patrol cars it hopes to add to its fleet.

Cars Plus last week filed a counter-protest with the Office of Public Accountability, seeking to stop the General Services Agency’s plan to re-bid the contract for the police cars. The contract was initially awarded to Triple J Motors.

Cars Plus maintained it should be awarded the contract, saying it offered the lowest responsible bid that would result in $9,000 in savings for the government.

GSA notified bidders of its plan to re-bid the police cars after terminating its contract with Triple J on grounds that the company did not provide a warranty for the 2014 police vehicles.

On Sept. 25, Triple J filed a protest with the OPA, seeking the reinstatement of its contract. Triple J said a new award would leave Triple J “in the dust” because the company has already made a purchase commitment to Ford Motor Co., which in turn has made an allocation for a slot in the production line.

In later filings, Triple J said Ford clarified that the warranty for the 2013 police cars applies to the 2014 models.

The termination of Triple J’s contract was actually based on the protest filed by Cars Plus with GSA prior to the contract award.

Although GSA sustained Cars Plus’ protest, the agency rejected the company’s bid, citing its failure to provide sufficient information about the warranty and limitations for the cars it offered.

In its protest with the OPA last week, Cars Plus said it was not aware that GSA purchase orders were issued to Triple J while the protest was pending at the agency level.

GSA’s plan to re-bid the contract is currently on hold, pending resolution on Triple J’s protest and Cars Plus’ counter-protest.

The acquisition of the new patrol vehicles will be funded by Compact-impact funds released to the local government in February. GPD received a share of $2.52 million from the $9.7 million in Compact money for this year. Of the amount received by GPD, $350,000 was allotted for the purchase of the new police cars.

Please review the User Content Posting Rules
comments powered by Disqus