Marianas Variety Guam Edition – The Local and Regional Newspaper

12 23Sat10252014

Settings

Font Size

Back Local News GDOE reviewing employee salary direct deposit program

GDOE reviewing employee salary direct deposit program

  • PDF

AFTER an issue with the direct deposit program caused a number of Guam Department of Education employees to miss their pay, GDOE Superintendent Jon Fernandez said they will be reviewing department and partner bank procedures to prevent similar situations in the future.

Last Friday, the department reported that approximately 425 employees enrolled in the program did not receive their biweekly pay in their accounts.

A release from the department noted that the biweekly payroll information was submitted Wednesday morning last week. However, the Fourth of July federal holiday impacted their partner banks which rely on a third party to facilitate their deposit and credit employee accounts on time.

GDOE said this is the procedure that will be corrected in the future.

Fernandez said most of their employees banking with Coast 360 Federal Credit Union and Bank of Hawaii received their deposit Friday evening and 7 a.m. Saturday, respectively.

"I monitored issues this weekend and staffers were in the office Saturday to help address the situation," Fernandez told Variety.

Fernandez also said the problem affected only around 20 percent of 1,900 GDOE employees on direct deposit, while the remaining 80 percent had no issues.

"We will continue to encourage our employees to take advantage of direct deposit," he said.

After hearing about the delays last Friday, the superintendent expressed his disappointment since employees were forced to wait an extra amount of time to be paid. "They are just trying to pay their bills, buy groceries, and support their families," the superintendent said.

Please review the User Content Posting Rules
comments powered by Disqus