The Guam Daily Post

12 23Wed11252015


Font Size

Back Local News Suspected robber released

Suspected robber released

  • PDF

Accused was fired DOC guard

A CORRECTIONS officer – fired last week in relation to the fence hole discovered at the Department of Corrections Mangilao facility – was arrested Sunday for allegedly snatching a female tourist’s grocery bag in Upper Tumon.

Aaron Cruz Jessop, 31, was charged with robbery and conspiracy. He was confined at the Hagåtña Detention Facility after his arrest but was released yesterday morning.

The Attorney General's Office said Jessop was released following an attorney review, which determined there was insufficient evidence against him.

DOC spokesman Lt. Antone Aguon confirmed that Jessop was one of the two corrections officers fired last Thursday in connection with the discovery of a hole in a fence at the Mangilao compound in January.

Aguon declined to name the other dismissed officer, saying it is a personnel matter.

Jessop was identified as the shopping bag snatcher during an incident that happened around 1:30 a.m. on Sunday.

According to the Guam Police Department’s press release, two female tourists were walking down JFK Hill from Kmart when one of them spotted a man running toward their direction. The man then grabbed the bag of one of the two women and ran toward the Meskla Dos jungle line.

The woman tried to chase him but stopped due to poor lighting and safety issues.

A witness later gave the description of the snatcher’s getaway vehicle, along with its license plate, prompting the police to post an all-points bulletin to the surrounding precinct.

Officers from the Dededo Precinct were conducting a routine patrol in the Latte Heights area near Mangilao when they spotted the subject vehicle passing on the opposite lane.

The officers then followed the subject vehicle and subsequently pulled it over along Latte Heights.

Police officers found the Kmart bag and its contents in the vehicle driven by Jessop.

Jessop was initially transported to the Dededo Precinct for investigation and was later detained at the Hagåtña Detention Facility while his case was being processed.

However, before the formal complaint was filed, he was released from police custody “because of insufficient evidence to move forward with robbery and conspiracy charges,” according to the Attorney General's Office.

Please review the User Content Posting Rules
comments powered by Disqus